The worst feeling for anybody searching for a job is when they fail to get success in their expedition. Sometimes people apply for jobs (hundreds in some cases), but fail to get any response from the companies. Lucky ones sometimes get a get a letter of rejection or an email, but the majority will simply get no response from the recruiter.
Even though it seemed like everything went really well in the interview, still people fail to get a call from the employer. Some people even fail to get an interview call for the job they’ve applied. So, what mistake did you make in your job application because of which you failed to secure the interview call?
Here are the top 8 reasons why you were not selected for an interview.
- Did You Have The Qualifications Required For The Job? How close your qualifications match the requirements posted by the recruiter for the job? In today’s highly competitive world, usually candidates applying match or even exceed the job requirements. So, they easily secure interviews.
- Did you submit a complete application? Ensure that all the information required on the job application should be provided by you.
- Was your application mistake free? Did you write proper & correct employment dates? Did you fill the right salary amount? Have you ensured that you filled all the necessary information asked by the employer? Before scheduling interviews, some employers verify employment history of the candidates, which makes submitting the right & accurate dates highly essential.
- Did you work hardly to prepare your resume? Ensure that you resume showcase skills and accomplishments which are related to the job you’re targeting. Explain clearly that how you added value in your previous internships, jobs, or any other work?
- Have you made your resume in a well organised way, so that the most relevant points can be easily located by the HR solutions department of your employer’s company?
- Did you write an accurate cover letter which focused primarily on the requirements of the job you have applied for? Ensure you make it very clear in the cover letter that you have the required skills, experience and knowledge which will help you to perform well on the job, if selected.
- Did you submit a cover letter which was long enough to make a compelling case for you to secure interview and later the job? Did you made sure that the cover letter was not so dense that the recruiter wouldn’t even read it? Keep your letters 3 to 5 paragraphs long, with each paragraph not more than 8 lines.
- Did you make sure that each application document which you sent to the employers was error free and well written? Ask others (friends & family members) to review and proofread your resume and cover letter.